The first mention of Chateau de Chargé in the land registry appeared in 1429 when Guillaume de la Barre, attached to the royal court at Chinon, built the property in the rolling farmland of the hamlet of Chargé. Originally, it would have been a fortified manor surrounded by a number of stone lookout towers. Three of these are still visible on the property.
The chateau remained home to generations of the de la Barre family, including Nicolas, who was declared in 1592 as one of the ten gentlemen permitted by the King to be Guardians of the Chateau at Chinon, and later as one of the hundred Protectors of the King, until the French revolution when it changed hands successively through sale, purchase, inheritance, and even a swap!
The original building with its imposing round tower has seen a number of additions. It was extended to the east in the seventeenth century incoporating one of the external towers, and again with a new wing in 1812. The building used until recently for wine production bears the de la Barre family coat of arms but was probably added towards the end of their tenure, around 1650. A chapel was added to the rear of the property around the mid to late 17th Century : although it had disappeared from the state records a hundred years later the ruins of the chapel remain in the garden. The cellars are said to be unusually deep for properties of this era, and could indicate a dry moat.
In the last century, the property has mainly been used for farming : the outbuildings of the chateau were used for pig and boar farming, whilst the surrounding agricultural land remains sown with wheat and other crops.
The Field family arrived here in 2008 and undertook extensive renovations to the property, and are glad to share photographs with other enthusiasts!